Friday 17 February 2012

Pre-Departure Review of Projects Abroad UK



So, here as promised, is the 'review' of Projects Abroad pre-departure. I call it a review but it will be more of a ramble. There will be two parts to this entry: one focusing on Projects Abroad themselves and how I have found their services before I depart; the other a hints and tips section or other various bits of information that I have learned so far tomorrow. One could point out that I am writing a review when I have not even been on my volunteering trip yet but I think that the preparations and months leading into departure are paramount to setting you off on the right foot.

Projects Abroad is a “leading global organiser of overseas volunteer work placements” according to its home page offering many different placements in various disciplines all across the world. Then again, so do most companies offering this kind of experience. I found out about Projects Abroad by searching on Google and, as I knew which area of the world I wanted to do some volunteering in, I went straight for the Destinations page to see if they offered teaching in Africa. They did and there was a information session in London that I attended. There were about 20-30 other people there along with employees and past volunteers from Projects Abroad with experiences ranging from a law placement to teaching and care work, although all seemed to have gone to Ghana. The staff were friendly and approachable, happy to talk about all aspects of spending time abroad and company literature was strewn across tables for people to take. At first glance they seemed very professional and, more importantly to a first-time volunteer and lifelong cynic, legit. I had already decided on Tanzania for my destination as it is close to where my parents grew up and is home to Mount Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti and Zanzibar. Also, I'm constantly reminded of how friendly Tanzanian people are. So, having decided where I was going and what I would be doing, I joined the Facebook group. (As an aside, I think I may be the ultimate product of the internet generation when I determine how legitimate a company is by whether it has a Facebook group or not.) Set up by the Projects Abroad team in Tanzania, it is a convenient place to ask questions of volunteers and staff who are already in Tanzania about customs, clothes and the placements and the people on there are extremely helpful. So far so good for the more 'informal' modes of contact.

Once I had decided, I began ringing and e-mailing Projects Abroad regarding my plans and they were friendly, well-mannered and tried to be as helpful as possible, following up phone calls with e-mails and e-mails with more e-mails. Everything was relatively smooth up until the booking. The first problem came with hidden costs and efforts required to get my own visa, which I did not really mind so much but my parents did. Suggesting that the visa application should be done by the company and that the 'Permit C' that I need to get when I enter Tanzania (not cheap at 500 USD) should be integrated within the cost of the program. We had also planned to book flights through the company as well hoping to get cheaper rates however the £795 they charge does not cover any tax so I was looking at another £200 on top of that, whereas I booked return flights including tax for just over £700 via British Airways. The team that dealt with the handling of flight details seemed to mistake a lot of the instructions I gave via e-mail, possibly through reading through them too quickly, not understanding well enough or my bad instructions.

Next with my placement. I was given a questionnaire to fill in regard experience, skills and targets for my trip and a few days after I replied I was suggested a place at a school catering for 2-7 year olds. I replied saying that my preferred age group to work with would be 11+ as that is where my experience, albeit brief, lies. I received an e-mail thanking me for letting them know of my preferences and they would try to accommodate me. A few days after that I got an e-mail telling me that I could view my placement and living arrangements online, once I had paid the full invoice. Which brings us to present day. Having paid the invoice and been able to access my placement details they have placed me in the Gohechi Centre for 2-8 year olds. It is also listed under care projects as I mentioned in my last post. I have sent an e-mail confirming that these are correct details and we shall see from there I suppose.

Projects Abroad have been a pleasant company to use and are extremely good at maintaining contact up until the point where you actually sign up with them. I think it would have been nice for contact to have been maintained up until departure with the odd e-mail here and there to assess the situation and make sure that I was ready and enthusiastic about my time abroad. I think that the information available about the placements should be wider and more practical rather than a regurgitation of whatever is on that particular school's/organisation's website. Also, there are plenty of hidden costs that should probably be advertised somewhere. However, so far there has been nothing that has caused real concern and this should bode well for my time in Tanzania.

No comments:

Post a Comment