Monday 16 April 2012

Eurotrip Anyone?

So, a week since my last blog. In that week the human rights project has taken on a new direction. Leaving behind Morombo as our focus, we are attempting to build a project around the practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). I will spare the gruesome details but you can probably work it out. If not, Google it. On Tuesday, we met with the man in charge of the HIMS FGM programme based in a health clinic in Ngaramtoni which aided victims of FGM. He gave us a brief overview of the vision and mission of HIMS and the work they carried out in relation to FGM. We were given an introduction into what FGM entails and the physical and psychological effects of it. It was pretty harrowing stuff but the rest of the week has consisted of research on the internet into FGM and the organisations that are already acting in order to eliminate this terrible ritual.

Progress has been slow and we need to seriously step up our efforts in order to make this project work.Today we met with a group of women who have themselves rejected circumcision and were able to ask some questions about the procedure and the way we can combat the practice but it was not as productive as I thought it was going to be, much of which can probably attributed to my lack of preparation so I'm going to have to make my own efforts greater.

More has been happening on the social side of things though. On Monday a few volunteers went back to the hot springs as some of them missed the first trip. Yet again, I forgot to take my camera so was unable to get any pictures. Next time! Anyway, I had just as much fun the second time as the first but it was much busier which many more people taking advantage of the Easter holiday. Thursday was the social at Herbs & Spices, an Ethiopian restaurant, which was excellent, especially the lentils. Via Via after and then a care outreach at Cradle of Love orphanage on Friday. I was only able to go to this due to someone dropping out as there were a limited amount of spaces and it was a great experience playing with the children and hearing their stories about how they ended up in the orphanage. We were introduced to some twins who had only arrived that week and when we were told the story one of the medical volunteers had worked at the hospital where the mother had died giving birth to them. We were able to play and feed the children and when we were called to go it seemed like the hour had passed in a flash.

That evening I headed out to eat with some of the volunteers and we had curry, which I have missed almost more than sushi! I had a mutton curry with rice and a garlic naan which was heaven, all for under ten pounds. The Saturday we headed to the Snake Park, which was a little bit disappointing and headed to Empire in the evening. Every time I go there on a Saturday, I tend to like it less and less. I much prefer Via Via as a venue, even if the clientele and prices are not anything to boast about. Anyway, we were celebrating last nights out in Tanzania for five of the volunteers, which sucks. It has only been a month and a half but I still feel like I'm losing some really great friends. Its similar to when we had some Aussie exchange students back in my second year of uni. Three months but felt like it should have been a lifetime. Here, in Tanzania, most of the volunteers are really close as, I suppose, everyone must have come here for similar reasons and are like-minded. One meets people from all over the world while volunteering and sometimes the sad fact is that one may probably never see them again. However, with the world so engrossed in social media, it has become easier to stay in touch and when you compare the size of America or Australia to the size of Europe, where many of the volunteers are from, it shouldn't be too hard to stay in touch. So I guess it's goodbye for now as I plan my Eurotrip visiting friends in France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Anyone wanna join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment