Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Following Takes Place Between 9am and 1pm


Today on the human rights project we visited a private pre-school in Morombo to discuss with the director how his school, one of very few in the area, had come about and to gauge how we could help as volunteers. It was extremely interesting for me having come from the teaching project at Gohechi to another school in a very poor area. The class, for there was only one, consisted of around twenty students with a wide variety of ages and abilities. There are two classrooms, with three teachers, and the classrooms are extremely basic. Unfortunately, I did not take my camera this time so was unable to take photos of the conditions they were in but it was still better than the makeshift shack a few hundred yards away that served as a classroom for less fortunate children who could not afford to pay for the established schools. The price of three months at this school was 100,000TSH but many could not afford to pay that and were charged a discounted 60,000TSH instead. The price included porridge but as they could not afford to buy lunch for the children, much like Gohechi, they were unable to keep the children there for lunch and afternoon lessons. However, the director told me that many of the children stayed anyway because their parents worked until 4 or 5pm. There will generally be someone there to look after them, the director told us, because the school doubles up as his house.

The director outlined his plan to expand the schools classes into class one, two and three in time and gave us a detailed description of his vision to build a separate building, in which he could live, so the main building could have an extra classroom, as well as his idea to buy the land adjacent to the school as either a plot for a new building or as a dedicated playground for the children. He also showed us his little vegetable garden in which he had grown some spinach, which he fed to the children, and some chilli, which he fed to us (and occasionally sold). I took a small bite and it was hot enough to make my eyes water but not unbearable. I still needed a swig from my bottle of water though. He seemed like a good man, wanting the best for his children but he also told us why he was unwilling to accept a lot of students for free, even though he had the space, suggesting that the paying parents would be unhappy if they had to pay while others get free education.

After we left the school we stopped by a funeral to pay our respects to a man, with whom HIMS was close to agreeing a deal to use his land to grow vegetables, who had recently lost his father. It was a sombre event and the first funeral that I have ever been to. Of course, we did not stay for long, stopping only to say pole sana to the man and his family but the pain was evident on their faces. Death and hardship are facts of life in Tanzania and this was evident when we then visited the site of a half-completed house, that had been repossessed by one of the banks in Arusha after the prospective owner had been unable to pay back his loan, before visiting the home of a man living in another half-built house with AIDS. Seeing people coping with things that I have absolutely no experience in is in itself a difficult situation. I just can not relate to any of these people. I've lost an uncle that, regrettably, I was not close to but no one extremely close to me; I've always had somewhere to live; the worst affliction I have is being insufferable to the average human being. I am really, really fortunate. Something I must appreciate.

For the majority of you who read this will know me personally, I have posted two new albums on my Facebook page, one regarding the Lake Duluti trip the other a bunch of pictures from International Women's Day that seems so long ago. I hope you enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment