Sunday 4 March 2012

Jambo Tanzania!

Hey everyone! (I'm an optimist) Just to let you guys know the format of my blog post from now on. I will most likely be writing one every couple of nights as I experience more in Tanzania but will not post them as I write. I will probably write them offline on my laptop then connect every once in a while to the internet in order to post. I think. I may end up logging on every few days anyway so may be able to post as I go but who knows? Not I at least. Anyway, here is a short piece I wrote on the plane.

02/03/12

Sitting at Terminal 5, the first thing I notice is that there's no free Wi-Fi, which sucks. The second is how quiet it is due to only having British Airways traffic passing through. I had trouble at the baggage check in as my bag was two kilos too heavy. Luckily, the woman working at the counter was Chinese and let me get away with 24kg. Sometimes the perk of being a minority is that other people of your race are willing to give you a little bit extra to help you get along in the world. It probably also helped that my parents were there chatting away in Cantonese with her.

Beyond that came debates about what I had or had not learned throughout this saga and the usual family debate about politics, religion and human nature. As you can tell, it's always fun and games at the dinner table. Then came the moment when I had to say goodbye and head past the security checks. I have not done anything like this before. Travelling alone to a foreign country with limited funds and limited contacts. It scared me and I'm not particularly ashamed to admit it. It is a scary thing, leaving all you are comfortable with and going into a world which may be completely different or relatively the same. The fact that this is unknown is more troubling than which of those two options turns into reality. I would love to have a completely different experience to what I am used to in England but really Tanzania is just another country trying to make its way in the 21st century. It's not stuck in the dark ages or anything. That said, I can not wait to meet the family I'll be staying with and learning about the Tanzanian culture. Also, I fairly enjoy flying.

I have just realised that I'm sitting on the wrong side of the plane to watch the sunrise...damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment